Wednesday, June 22, 2005

At last, Georgian hipsters!

Last night, I went to a show by the Turtle Lake. I am not sure what the show was about it, I think it was billed as a folk show but after the first couple sets, it turned into several acoustic sets which didn’t really sound that folk-y to me. Think Leonard Cohen and Nina Simone in Georgian. I suppose they are considered folk singers, but you know what I mean – there weren’t any people in national costumes, twirling on their knees across the stage (see my Dancing Revolution post).

Anyways, it was a nice time, on top of listening to raspy singing, I also had several beers and got to see a nice view of Tbilisi from the mountain tops. Below I have a couple of pics but I realized I didn’t take any that had Tbilisi in the background.

And it turned out that this Crafts Festival is some sort of hipster hangout! The place was crawling with Bedford Avenue types in their fancy yet dirty looking jeans and cooler than anything haircuts. It was kind of crazy. They were frolicking in the grass, smoking cigarettes and, occasionally, drinking Kazbegi beers. I kept ogling around, expecting someone to start blabbering about the genius and good looks of Matthew Barney, her spiritual connection to her yoga teacher (or any other guru), and the latest sex antics on someone’s rooftop.

Speaking of gurus, before heading out to the show, I watched a little bit of TV where there was Heather Graham movie, called "The Guru." It was terrible! Heather Graham's character was teaching some Bollywood dancer about sex who then took Graham's knowledge and became a sex guru. It was ridiculous. Check it out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280720/

Ugh, I just realized that I need to start posting pictures in reverse order. Oh well, suppose next time.

No comments: