Friday, June 24, 2005

I am such a moron!

Earlier today, I got a phone call on my cell (or mobile in this country) and a woman introduced herself really quickly and spoke in Russian. Since her name is Georgian, I didn't catch it and had no idea who she was. But being a nice person, I carried on the conversation, pretending I knew who she was. She said something about traveling and how she had just returned back. So I was like "OK" and she asked me about my research. Still not having a clue who she was, I said some generalities and she answered by saying that I should meet with her and she could help me with some stuff. So we figured out a day and time, asked for the address to which she answered with a small hesitation in her voice and we hung up. I still had no clue who she was and where I was suppost to go on Monday at noon.

So I sat in the chair for a while, trying to figure out what the hell I should do. I had the person's number but there is no voicemail in Georgia (yep, there is no voicemail, you read it right - you either answer the phone or you don't - this is also the reason why everyone keeps his/her mobile on the table during a meal, you just never know who will call and you may just need to answer since the person cannot leave a message). So I couldn't call back to listen to the voicemail greeting which usually reveals a person's name.

Fortunately, my detective skills kicked in and I realized that the address that the mystery woman gave me is at OSI. This would also explain her hesitation as I've been at OSI before. Since there are 2 people at OSI which whom I would meet, I was left with trying to figure out whether the person said: "Hello, this is Nino calling" or "Hello, this Marina calling." Using my skills of deduction, logic, and somewhat functioning gut reaction (you should read "Blink"), I really hope I am meeting with the Nino woman. Otherwise, I will look like a total idiot, asking for her when, in reality, my appointment is with Marina. Arg, life in this country is rough.

On a more positive note, the old vegetable stand lady who, I think, ripped me off, has been replaced by a much nicer lady who, using her skills of deduction and logic, asked me whether I live alone. I bet it's because I keep buying half a kilo of tomatoes, potatoes, and cucumbers.

Peeps, how is life back in USA? Fill me in, I need to know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the tipping point is better