Friday, June 24, 2005

Georgian Bjork

Last night we went back to the Crafts Festival because a well-known Georgian jazz singer was performing. Before she started, a Georgian described her as the Georgian Bjork. Turns out that she was more like Georgian Joss Stone than Bjork. Nevertheless, the show was incredible, the woman, her name is Nino something in Georgian I cannot spell, the band’s name is Insight, was an amazing performer (I posted most the pics below despite the fact that they are blurry but I think by looking at them, you can get the feel for the show) and like Joss Stone, she’s young. For some reason, I want to say 17 but maybe I am wrong. The place went crazy when she came onstage and everyone was dancing. Even a hipster rushed the stage and subsequently he got rustled down by security guards which resulted in everyone in the audience laughing uncontrollably. I am not sure why, I guess Georgians are easily amused. And throughout the performance, little girls would run up to the singer and giver her flowers, balloon, and kisses. So sweet.

I think tonight there will be pre-planned debaucheries at a restaurant lead by a bunch of expats. I am looking forward to it, it’s been some time since I’ve gotten trashed and didn’t have to speak in Russian. I can’t wait.

No comments: